Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:42:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Chris <devnullaccount@yahoo.se>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Wifi for Lenovo Laptop

Hi,=0A=0A=0AI've tried to search the lists but can't find anything, but ple=
ase point me to an existing resource if available.=0A=0AI recently got a Le=
novo ThinkPad Edge E530 (3259-9VG) laptop and would like to get the Wifi ca=
rd running (fresh FreeBSD 9.0 install), but I'm failling as it has been at =
least 5 years since I used with wifi under FreeBSD. The card is not automat=
ically detected (interface not listed in ifconfig) so I'm assuming I have t=
o either load a kernel module or go the NDIS path. It seems like on Windows=
, the same driver is used for E430, E435, E530 and E535, so in case anyone =
is using one of these models, please let me know if have things running.=0A=
=0ASo some questions that might point me in the right direction:=0A=0A- How=
 can I find out which type of card this laptop actually has (can I read it =
out of dmesg, some PCI listing or whatever)? =0A=A0 All I can find are prod=
uct sheets saying that it has 11b/g/n, but doesn't help me to find a driver=
. I=0A=A0 Is there some "meta-module" that loads all the native wifi driver=
s that I can use that I can test?=0A- If I need to use NDIS emulation, does=
 anyone think it will work for this model/card? Windows drivers can be foun=
d here http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/product-and-parts/default.page).=0A=
=A0 The handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/config-netwo=
rk-setup.html#CONFIG-NETWORK-NDIS) says I need Win XP drivers, is that old =
text or do I need that? I can't find XP drivers on the lenovo page...=0A- I=
f NDIS should be possible, how do I extract the .sys and .inf file from the=
 exe that I downloaded from the URL above (I don't have any Windows machine=
 right now).=0A=0ATIA,=0A=A0 Chris=0A