Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:13:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Toni Pisjak <pisjak@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        <freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Admin <admin@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Subject:   Re: Problem: Setup ipfw Firewall

Hello !

(Sorry to the "ipfw" mailinglist, but i didn't get an answer from
freebsd-questions, but perhaps you can help me).

I have problems to setup a firewall on FreeBSD 4.1. I still work
with my simple test configuration (firewall between two clients):

> client-0                firewall                client-1
>
> .111.29/:4b:a8----------.111.9/:97:55
> (= IP/MAC)              .111.9/:9b:1f-----------.112.50/:a2:59

Can anybody tell me, if the following conditions are sufficient to
forward packets through an "open" (i.e. with rule "allow all from any to
any") firewall, because this is what i'm not able to do.

- Install two NICS into firewall (the two NICs have the same IP number)
- Build new kernel with options IP_FIREWALL and IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
  Is the kernel option BRIDGE necessary or harmful or does not matter ?
- Routing tables shown below
- Apply firewall rule "allow all from any to any"
  resp. the rules
  "allow all from <one client> to <other client> via <NIC-1 or NIC-2>"

Another question: The decision to send a packet to which NIC is only made
through the firewall rules, or is there another thing to do ?

Thanks in advance: Toni.

--
Toni Pisjak                    Technische Universitaet Wien
pisjak@dbai.tuwien.ac.at       http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at