Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 16:21:33 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, phk@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I plan to change ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE behaviour...

In message <KHdoTWmmC0@ache.dialup.demos.ru>
    =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= writes:

>Since it is very hard to explain to user that he must
>set ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE additionly to LANG variable
>to make LANG locale active for ctype-oriented programs,
>I plan to make ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE as *default* case
>and introduce new variable DISABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE
>to disable thins thing (for debugging purposes f.e.).

Well, I feel somewhat stuck now because I don't see any clear
argument against *proposed* change...
Please, if you feel somehow unhappy with it, specify more clearly
what you have against it _exactly_. I mean Joerg and Paul here first.

BTW (I trying guess the questions :-) this change don't enlarge or
reduce current bloat, it simple don't touch it at all.

What it does is makes user more confortable to not set ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE
each time when he sets his LANG variable.

If you intentionly don't want to see your native language file names
in ls output even if you set LANG variable, you can always do it
by setting DISABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE.

If you don't set LANG variable at all, this change not affect you
by any means.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -