Date:      Wed, 05 Mar 1997 21:07:43 -0800
From:      Pius Fischer <pius@iago.ienet.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Makefiles with chown user.group instead of chown user:group

There are a few Makefiles in the source tree that each contain one or
two occurrences of chown(8) that use a '.' instead of a ':' to separate
the user operand from the group operand. Since I had recompiled chown
without -DSUPPORT_DOT, this caused my "make world" to repeatedly fall
over. These are the Makefiles:

	/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff/mm/Makefile
	/usr/src/share/mk/bsd.prog.mk
	/usr/src/games/boggle/Makefile
	/usr/src/share/me/Makefile
	/usr/src/share/zoneinfo/Makefile
	/usr/src/usr.bin/ee/Makefile

I submitted a PR only for the first one (it caused the build-tools
target to fall over -- the other ones caused the install target to
fall over).

I can provide patches if desired, but all that needs to be done is
that each occurrence of chown in each of these files should be fixed
so that a ':' is used instead of a '.' to separate the user from the
group.

By the way, the reason I recompiled chown without -DSUPPORT_DOT was so
that I could use chown with user and group names that have dots in them.

The chown(8) man page indicated that the "new" way to distinguish the
user operand from the group operand is to use a colon instead of a dot.
It was a little confusing since it made no mention of the fact that by
default chown is compiled with -DSUPPORT_DOT which effectively prevents
usernames with dots in them from being used with chown.

Regards,
Pius