Date:      Mon, 2 Nov 1998 10:59:35 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com, Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sh and ~ expansion

In <19981029014317.C26396@nuxi.com>, David O'Brien wrote:
> > pdksh has a number of (IMHO) bugs with respect to signal handling. The
> > problem here is "what happens when a sh child uses SIGINT and/or
>
> So, lets fix them and submit the patches back to the pdksh developers.

Some problems:

1) It way be easier to fix the remaining syntax problems in ash

2) The signal behaviour of pdksh is probably intended (although most
other shells behave like ours and bash). If we had a pdksh as default
shell, people would be confused if it didn't behave as the normal
pdksh does.

3) Someone acutally had to do it. I'm certainly not doing all the
signal fixes a second time and the people who helped me are likely not
to be amused, either.

> > If you through away your shell and use a new one, you'll use a
> > valuable resource: All the PRs collected over the years.
>
> Why are old PRs so valuable?

They document remaining problems. This make it easier/possible to fix
them and to tell people exactly what they have to work around.

We could even claim them features if the documentation is good enough
:-)

> > For pdksh, you'll start from scratch
>
> So?  For 3.0+ we added so many new things that we had to start from
> scratch on.  ELF, new boot loader, Amd, 4.4Lite2 in the kernel, etc...

That isn't a reason to reset everything.

I can understand your point, you're maintainer of a lot of ports and
many of them depend on sh or even bash behaviour.

However, currently pdksh is not an alternative to the current FreeBSD
sh, especially for system startup.

Wouldn't it be easier to change port's scripts to #!/usr/local/bin/ksh
and require pdksh for build/run respectivly.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer