Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:34:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Captain Jack <jack@rabbit.eng.miami.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ls-120

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998, Captain Jack wrote:

> > Do you get anything out of that?  It should go through a short procedure
> > to lay out the superblocks.
>
> rabbit# newfs -b 8192 -f 1024 /dev/wfd0s1
> newfs: /dev/wfd0s1: not a character-special device

Two problems:

1.  /dev/wfd0s1 is not a raw device.
2.  You must specify a partition to format.  See disklabel.

> > Hm.  Do 'fdisk wfd0' and post the output.
>
> rabbit# fdisk wfd0
> ******* Working on device /dev/rwfd0 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=963 heads=8 sectors/track=32 (256 blks/cyl)
>
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=963 heads=8 sectors/track=32 (256 blks/cyl)
>
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> <UNUSED>

Hm, even bigger problem -- no partition table.

Please see my instructions at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/diskformat/
on how to format this disk.

I suggest booting with a disc in the drive to get the paramters right.

Doug White