Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2000 20:59:18 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "John Doh!" <johndoh_@hotmail.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to stop problems from printf

In message <F159yCTr9rf3yXvEbjk00001dc1@hotmail.com> "John Doh!" writes:
: Issue is must be getting format string from "untrusted" place, but want to
: limit substitution of %... to the substitution of say in example the
: argv[0], but to not do others so that say given "usage: %s filename %p" %p
: not interpret but to be print instead as literally so we get output of
: (saying to be argv[0] as test just for example) usage: test filename %p
:
: any hints you have I am very greatful for.

Fix gettext to only allow N arguments in the same order that the
original message had.

Warner