Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 21:46:50 -0600
From:      Jason McNew <jase@clearsail.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   find... pilot error?

After reading the find man page, I tried using:
find / -name "*.mp3" -exec mpg123 {};
and it tells me:
find: -exec: no terminating ";"
if I do:
find / -name "*.mp3" -exec mpg123 {}\;
it runs ok, but mpg123 just gives me syntax help a few times.
So, I tried:
find / -name "*.mp3" -exec echo {}\;
and it just spits out a bunch of blank lines.
Although:
find / -name "*.mp3" -print
works exactly how i'd expect it.

Quoth the man page:
     -exec utility [argument ...];
             True if the program named utility returns a zero value as
its ex-
             it status.  Optional arguments may be passed to the
utility.  The
             expression must be terminated by a semicolon (``;'').  If
the
             string ``{}'' appears anywhere in the utility name or the
argu-
             ments it is replaced by the pathname of the current file.
             Utility will be executed from the directory from which find
was
             executed.

I'm not sure if this is pilot error or find is broken.
Anyone got any ideas?  I can write a Perl script to do the same thing
but I hate to reinvent the wheel.

> uname -a
FreeBSD jase.clearsail.net 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #1: Sun Oct
18 01:42:11 GMT 1998
root@jase.clearsail.net:/usr/src/sys/compile/JASE  i386