Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:22:56 +0800
From:      Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport@gmail.com>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: RFC: How to fix the NFS/iSCSI vs TSO problem

> Christopher Forgeron wrote:
> > I'm quite sure the problem is on 9.2-RELEASE, not 9.1-RELEASE or
> > earlier,
> > as a 9.2-STABLE from last year I have doesn't exhibit the problem.
> >  New
> > code in if.c at line 660 looks to be what is starting this, which
> > makes me
> > wonder how TSO was being handled before 9.2.
> >
> > I also like Rick's NFS patch for cluster size. I notice an
> > improvement, but
> > don't have solid numbers yet. I'm still stress testing it as we
> > speak.
> >
> Unfortunately, this causes problems for small i386 systems, so I
> am reluctant to commit it to head. Maybe a variant that is only
> enabled for amd64 systems with lots of memory would be ok?

Rick,

Maybe you can create a SYSCTL to enable/disable it by the end user will be
more reasonable. Also, of course, it is so far safe if only 64Bits CPU can
enable this SYSCTL. Any other option seems not OK, will be hard to judge
what is lots of memory and what is not, it will depends what is running
onto the system.

The SYSCTL will be great, and in case you don't have time to do it, I can
give you a hand.

I'm gonna do more benchmarks today and will send another report, but in our
product here, I'm inclined to use this patch, because 10~20% speed up in
read for me is a lot. :-)

Thank you so much and best regards,
--
Marcelo Araujo