Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 18:03:19 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Deepu Sebastian Joseph <dsj@engunx.unl.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Hi:
I have the following Q;
I have a 486 running FreeBSD 3.1. The machine has an old internal modem
attached to it, which I am having a  hard time taking out (its an old
Packard Bell). On reading the comp manual, I came to know that this is on
COM1 . I fixed my new 56 K internal modem to the expansion slot (isa)
after booting up freebsd shows sio1 irq 3 0x2eF8 or smthg I am not sure. I
guess these are the COM2 Settings. I set the jumpers on the internal modem
appropiately to COm 2 irq, Addr etc). But on reading the FreeBSD manual:

sio0 through sio3 are the four serial ports referred to as COM1 through
COM4 in the MS-DOS world. Note that if you have an internal
    modem on COM4 and a serial port at COM2 you will have to change the
IRQ of the modem to 2 (for obscure technical reasons IRQ 2 =
    IRQ 9) in order to access it from FreeBSD. If you have a multiport
serial card, check the manual page for sio(4) for more information

In my comp COM1/COM4 appears to be the same and can be interchanged by
setting the approp jumpers on the motherboard.

Is the arrangement I have fine .
Can I ask the dialup progs to just use /dev/cuaa1 without any interference
from the old internal modem
Thanks in Advance
Deepu
                                 (o o)