Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 19:36:29 +0200
From:      dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to Reset a Forgotten Root Password

>   then you should be able to boot up into single user mode
>   with "boot -s" and change the password.
>
>   You'll need to type "boot -s" at the secondary boot prompt
>   (asks to press "any key" for another command ;)

In linux lilo.conf you could prevent this by putting a password on this
bot option to "root" It sure is nice to have the option, but I feel a
little insecure letting this door wide opten for everyone w/ access to
the machine. Q: can this be protected?

--
dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.8 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)