Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2012 10:05:39 -0500
From:      "Dean Weimer" <dweimer@orscheln.com>
To:        <cy@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Port: ntp-4.2.6p5

-----Original Message-----
From: Dean Weimer=20
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:54 AM
To: 'cy@FreeBSD.org'
Cc: 'ports@FreeBSD.org'
Subject: FreeBSD Port: ntp-4.2.6p5

I have a FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE system built form sources that ntpd compile =
from the port with default options immediately crashes when launched.  =
However when running it with the -d option on the command line to try =
and determine the cause the program runs fine and doesn't crash.

 I have another very similar system built with the same /etc/make.conf =
and /etc/src.conf files only with more ports installed than this system =
which doesn't have the problem.  So I rebuilt this system entirely =
again, doing the full make buildworld, make buildkernel and =
installation.  Followed by a portmaster -af to reinstall all ports =
problem persisted.  I also deleted the ntp.conf and copied the one form =
the FreeBSD /usr/src/etc/ntp.conf file to rule out configuration file =
corruption as the cause.  I also tried the net/ntp-devel branch port, =
similar problem as well, only it exists with a signal 10 when not in =
debugging mode whereas the net/ntp branch port gives me a signal 11.

Further searching and I finally discovered the version of pearl on the =
working system was from the 5.14 branch and not the 5.12 branch.  =
Updating pearl and recompiling all pearl dependent ports seems to have =
resolved the issue.  Below is information about the system, and relevant =
log files, everything is working for me now, but I wanted to pass this =
information on in case there is something useful in it to help you =
maintain the port.

Correction, I tried a restart shortly after sending this, it now no =
longer starts without the -d option on the command line again.  Any =
suggestions for additional troubleshooting?

Thanks,
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Dean Weimer
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Network Administrator
=A0=A0=A0=A0 Orscheln Management Co