Date:      Mon, 07 Feb 2005 13:47:19 -0600
From:      Jon Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?=22Jos=E9_M=2E_Fandi=F1o=22?= <freebsd4@fadesa.es>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 50% of packets lost only on local interfaces

José M. Fandiño wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:

>>> Finally, I found the culprit:
>>>
>>> CFLAGS=""     \  100% of the transmited traffic is received
>>> COPTFLAGS=""  /
>>>
>>> CFLAGS= -pipe     \  50% of the transmited traffic is received
>>> COPTFLAGS= -pipe  /
>>
>> That would be exceedingly strange, because the above two options
>> are supposed to produce *no differences at all* with the code
>> generation.
>>
>> I'd believe that -O and no -O could behave differently, although I
>> don't know why you'd want to compile without -O.
>
> because by the time I was compiling the system I was no interested
> in compiler optimizations. Now I prefer a lightly optimized kernel
> than a system with 50% of packet lost in local interfaces ;-)

-O is the default for -STABLE; anything else might very well cause
problems.  In fact, check out the CFLAGS section of
/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf:
"Note that optimization settings other than -O and -O2 are not
recommended or supported for compiling the world or the kernel - please
revert any nonstandard optimization settings to "-O" before submitting
bug reports without patches to the developers."

Jon