Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:09:34 +0100
From:      Matthew Whelan <muttley@gotadsl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: usb0 controller halted error

24/09/2001 17:04:10, Olivier Saut <Olivier.Saut@gmm.insa-tlse.fr> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I run the Alcatel Speedtouch USB driver (/usr/ports/net/pppoa or
>http://www.xsproject.org/speedtouch/) for my ADSL line.
>
>Under heavy upload, the connection stops, the modem switches off.
>The console keeps printing "usb0 controller halted".

<snip>

>The computer is an Athlon on a Asus A7V MB.
>dmesg is attached.
>
>Is this a known problem? Is there a solution for it?

Bad news I'm afraid. This is a problem with the USB support in the VIA chipset - I
have an Abit KT7A-RAID here running win2k, I gave up trying to get the thing
working. At first it would only die under heavy load, then it ended up dying with even
only about 10k/sec each way.

Not all VIA's chipsets are broken - the box I'm now using to route my ADSL has kept
the connect up for over 8 days now, on an old MVP3-based board. I know of other
people who dumped their Athlons and bought Intel in frustration with this problem (I
haven't heard whether AMD chipsets suffer from this problem though, but I think it
also occurs with Intel CPU+VIA 686B southbridge boards)

Oh, and to get the driver working on the current box I had to grab the latest versions
of all the files from the CVS repository linked from
http://www.xsproject.org/speedtouch/ and use pppoa2m in my !device line in
ppp.conf, as pppoa2 in the 15082001 snapshot has a timeout problem on FreeBSD
(pppoa3 was very much work-in-progress last time I checked)

Sorry I can't be of more use :|
        Matthew

-------- End of forwarded message --------