Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:12:32 -0600
From:      rootman <rootman@xmission.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Justification for using FreeBSD

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Bill Moran wrote:
> rootman wrote:
> > I really don't want to try to fight the battle of getting all of our intranet
> > content moved to FreeBSD/Apache.  This would also be a lot of work, since a
> > lot of content is already in place on MS IIS.
>
> I looked over your email again and go to thinking ...
> Why would transferring the content from IIS to Apache be so much work?
> If it's just html pages, it'll run equally well on either machine with
> no changes - just copy the files.

Right, I could do it easily with SAMBA but truthfully, this is the least of
my problems.  We currently have departmental site content editors that
manage small parts of our intranet.  Right now, it's easy for them to
edit/publish pages with the use of the file shares set up on our network.

I haven't gotten thing's set up on my FreeBSD box to allow this.  A long
time ago, I tried to install the Frontpage extensions for Apache but could
never get it to work.  I kind of like managing my piece of our intranet myself
anyway.  I don't like giving other users special access to my FreeBSD
box unless I absolutely have to.  Besides, the admin of our MS IIS web server
would never go for moving everything over to FreeBSD/Apache.

> However, if it's written in ASP

Almost all of it has been written with Word 2000 and/or Frontpage.

Thanks