Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2006 16:26:55 +0800
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Andrew Sinclair <syncman0x@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Request status on sk(4) for 88E8053 Yukon PCI-E GbE

On 09/05/06 17:19 Bjoern A. Zeeb said the following:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2006, Andrew Sinclair wrote:
>
>> $ pciconf -lv
>> none2@pci2:0:0:    class=0x020000 card=0x00011179 chip=0x436211ab
>> rev=0x15 hdr=0x00
>>   vendor   = 'Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)'
>>   device   = '88E8053 Yukon PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (copper)'
>>   class    = network
>>   subclass = ethernet
> This is becoming a FAQ;) Search the archives of this list for example.
> Maybe start with
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2006-January/009543.html

we've got a device with the same NIC (0x432611ab). however our attempts to
get it to work took two paths, both with less then stellar results:

1. attempting to force the sk(4) driver to recognize this card by
commenting out the ifdef not_yet works in that the driver recognizes the
card, but it then subsequently fails to work or receive/xmit packets.
constant "can not stop transfer of Tx descriptor" and "can not stop
transfer of Rx descriptor" messages which indicate a timeout failure on
reading a register.

2. using the driver provided by the link above, and it's newer 8.12.2.3
version from the marvell website has the NIC recognized and working as a
myk(4) device with one caveat: the moment IPFILTER is turned on and even
with rules which permit all packets the card stops transmitting/receiving
packets. this wont do for us as the primary function of the box is a
firewall and we're using IPFILTER without an option of using PF or IPFW at
the moment.

so my current observations, limited though they may be, are that this
chipset is still less than desirable on freebsd. in addition, comments in
the above thread indicate issues with bus_dma and the myk(4) driver sources
above.

dinesh@alphaque.com                (0 0)   http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/