Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:39:34 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Duplicate INDEX entries of long standing

--------------enigA3F6678020DCA80DB5977BD7

On 13/02/2012 11:44, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> I've been seeing the following it seems like forever in my nightly
> scheduled ports tree maintenance script output:
>=20
> Starting rebuild of INDEX-10 at Mon Feb 13 03:52:55 CST 2012
>=20
> Generating INDEX-10 - please wait..Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry:
> gdb-insight-6.6 Warning: Duplicate INDEX entry: petsc-mpich-2.3.3.p0_6,=
1
>  Done.
>=20
> Rebuild of INDEX-10 completed at Mon Feb 13 04:10:29 CST 2012
>=20
> Anyone know what's the story with these?  And/or how to get rid of them=
?
> Are there any plans in the works to remove them from the ports tree, or=

> otherwise fix them?

Duplicates like this are usually a result of setting variables in
/etc/make.conf.  This causes the package name of some ports to change,
and that can result in pkgname conflicts.

The conflict arises when eg. you have a master-slave setup, where the
slave port is used to provide a different set of default options.  So,
for instance one of the packages you highlight is petsc-mpich-2.3.3.p0_6,=
1

That package would normally be obtained from math/petsc-mpich:

# cd math/petsc-mpich
# make -V PKGNAME
petsc-mpich-2.3.3.p0_6,1

but you can also end up with the same pkg name from math/petsc by
setting WITH_MPI:

# cd math/petsc
# make -DWITH_MPI -V PKGNAME
petsc-mpich-2.3.3.p0_6,1