Date:      Sun, 20 Nov 2016 14:48:51 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        John.Kitz@xs4all.nl
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Creating FreeBSD/arm bootable SD card for Cubieboards from FreeBSD 11.0 image files for Wintel only users.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 5:32 AM, John W. Kitz <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 11:48 AM, John W. Kitz <John.Kitz@xs4all.nl> wrot=
e:
>>> To rephrase my question; am I correct in assuming that the FreeBSD
>>> release
>>> 11.0 SD-card image file contains everything one needs to do a first
>>> time installation of FreeBSD on a cubieboard or cubieboard2? I.e. I do
>>> not or do no longer need to install the SPL loader and U-boot programs
>>> on the SD-card, since they are either an integral part of or not
>>> needed when using the image file.
>
>>Yes. If you can image the file onto an SD card verbatim, and the image is=
 exactly right for your board, that's all you need to do. If you are trying=
 >to use the image not on a Cubieboard2, but on something newer, then you'l=
l need to install the right u-boot package and follow the directions in the=
 >readme file to put the combined SPL+uboot.img file onto your card. You ma=
y also need to copy a .DTB file for your board and possibly a newer kernel =
>depending on how different things are.
>>
>>https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/=
windows.md
>>might be helpful for you, since images are images, even though that site =
is for the Raspberry Pi.

> All,
>
> Thanks for the various replies.
>
> In lieu of the availability of an image file for one of the more recent C=
ubie products I am planning to give it a try on a cubieboard2.

You're unlikely to have a good day doing that.

> Does anybody on this list happen to know if future FreeBSD releases are p=
lanned to include images for more recent Cubie hardware?

Which specific hardware? In the embedded space, there's no
standardization, so even minor variants can need their own u-boot.  We
may have a u-boot ready for that...

Warner