Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 22:08:14 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <bob89@bobj.org>
To:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATI 3D Rage Mobility-M1 on a Sony FXA59

On Friday 06 September 2002 07:18 pm, Bill Swingle appears to have
written:
> I recently got a new laptop, issued from my employer. It's a Sony
> PCG-FXA59. Quite a nice and fast laptop, except for the problems I've
> had with X over the past two days.
>
> Basicly, I can't get any usable X session to start up. The best I can
> manage when running 'X' is a screen with a tiny white window in the
> upper left hand corner and a background that looks like it's trying
> to be the standard graphic-less X background, only instead of tiny
> black/white checked squares, they're thin vertical rectangles. (if
> that makes any sense)
>
> I've searched google and both the freebsd and xfree86 mail archives
> for info on this particular model without any luck. There is a
> scattering of info on other laptops with ATI Mobility chips and 15"
> SXGA screens rated at 1400x1050 and I've tried out their Modeline,
> HorizSync and VertRefresh settings with very little change.

Possibilities:

1) Go to http://www.afn.org/~afn01750/inspiron.html and try the
XF86Config linked there, or at least the modelines.

2) Upgrade to XF86 4, which doesn't need modelines for standard
scan rates and is working fine with my Inspiron at 1400 x 1050 (and
all the others).  The XF86Config that I use now is also linked on the
page above.

3) In difficult cases, I've found that it is a good idea to first try to
get X working at 640x480, 256 colors.  Once that is working, then
manually edit XF86Config to add higher resolutions and depths.  I
strongly recommend this approach if the first two ideas don't help.

> Any suggestions would be most appreciated. A bottle of your favorite
> poison shipped directly to anyone that can help me get this solved.

I'm not highly optimistic that this info will help you but if it does,
my favorite poison is a bit hard to find if you aren't near
St. Augustine, Florida.  A nice port wine that I've never tried
before would do...   I hear Hardy's Whiskers Blake is pretty good.

- Bob