Date:      Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:16:27 +0800
From:      Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
To:        Eric Dannewitz <ericdano@jazz-sax.com>
Cc:        Mike Squires <mikes@ct980320-b.blmngtn1.in.home.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Oracle816 install

Greetings,

  oh yes, it certainly did.

  The java-based installer can't run on FreeBSD, hence the RH6.1 system.
  Only need the RedHat during the installation process.  Oh, BTW, the
  wizard for creating new database instance doesn't work too.  I have to
  follow the manual instructions at some website.

  Anyway, just found this link that some guy actually did get the Oracle
  Installer to work.

   http://groups.google.com/groups?q=oracle+freebsd+linux&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=9&seld=955357297&ic=1
  have not tried this, so good luck.

Regards,
/calvin

lines with :> are quotes from Eric Dannewitz's email
:> And that worked? Oracle 8.1.6 will run if you install it that way?
:>
:> Calvin NG wrote:
:>
:> > Greetings,
:> >
:> >   The last time I did a install of Oracle 8.1.6 (or 8.1.7)
:> >   some 6 months back, I NFS mount the FreeBSD system to
:> >   a RH 6.1 system, and do the installation in RH onto
:> >   the mounted disk.
:> >
:> >   I think this was dicussed somewhere and I found it using
:> >   Deja.COM (now googles).
:> >
:> >   IIRC, it has something to do with the Java-based installer
:> >   cannot be run on FreeBSD.  Its doesn't matter which JDK you
:> >   used (whether native FreeBSD port or the Linux one).
:> >
:> > Regards,
:> > /calvin
:> >
:> > lines with :> are quotes from Mike Squires's email
:> > :> >
:> > :> > I have been attempting to get Oracle816 for Linux
:> > :> > installed on my FreeBSD v42stable box.
:> > :> >
:> > :>
:> > :> After some months of monitoring various Oracle newsgroups it appears that
:> > :> the last version of Oracle to install under FreeBSD was 8.0.5, and that
:> > :> no one had been able to install 8.1.5/6/7.
:> > :>
:> > :> I am wondering if it would be possible to do an install under RH 6.2 (7.0
:> > :> as from the CD doesn't work) and then move the binaries.  This is not
:> > :> very expensive or time consuming in a world of $20 9GB drives.
:> > :>
:> > :> I'd be happy to find out I'm wrong...
:> > :>
:> > :> Mike Squires
:> > :>