Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:06:23 +0400
From:      Yar Tikhiy <yar@comp.chem.msu.su>
To:        Alan Garfield <alan@fromorbit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rtentry and rtrequest

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 11:50:09AM +1000, Alan Garfield wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> One word.... HOW! :)
>
> I've no clue what this FreeBSD ARP stuff is all about, there is little
> or no documentation, there are 14 different sock_addr's which seem to
> have a bazillion different fields, and I cannot output a simple debug
> statement without getting 'error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete
> type' errors!
>
> Sorry for the rant, I'm just frustrated. :) I've been going great on
> this port, but now I've struck ARP and have been stuck for days and I
> cannot seem to get myself out no matter how much kernel code I grep it
> still all looks Greek to me.
>
> I understand what ARP is and how it does it's thing. I even understand
> how Linux does it, but I cannot get a handle on how/why FreeBSD does
> what it does.

[...]
> I just want an idea of the structures involved, and what I need to
> implement to intercept and injecting a fake MAC so my buffer driver can
> communicate with the other side without ARP errors.

Could you tell more details on the problem you are trying to solve
now.  Sorry, but I fail to see what errors you get, and why.  Doesn't
the Service Processor on the other side of that little Ethernet
link behave as a conventional IP host?

(Alan is writing a driver for the interface between the CPU and the
Service Processor found in Sun Fire.  Of course, FreeBSD runs on
the CPU, while the SP executes a sort of Linux.  The interface
mimics Ethernet, but I don't know what lengths it goes to in doing
so.)

--
Yar