Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 19:22:01 -0700
From:      William Richard <wdr@tdl.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving to XFree86-4

On Friday 03 August 2001 09:17, you wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 08:48:55AM -0700, William Richard wrote:
> | On Friday 03 August 2001 08:30, j mckitrick wrote:

> No blanking or any apparent progress toward creating the X display.
> It dumps a bunch of messages to the screen (and log file) like X
> always does, then says:
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 10.  Server aborting.

It doesn't say anything about "missing screens" or anything like that?
That's what it said when I tried it.  Anything salient in
/var/log/XFree86.*.log?

BTW, I'm no longer having problems running 4.1.0.  I'm running it right
now, under KDE 2.1.1 with anti-aliasing turned on.  It's a little
ripper.  Well, the monospaced font is a little hard to read, but it
looks really cool!

> | What sort of display hardware are you using?

> Chips and Technologies 65555 on a Toshiba laptop

The mailing lists suggest that the Chips & Techs module might not like
some of the video ROM shadowing, so you might consider turning that
off, and generally futzing with the the BIOS setting as they relate to
video.

> Hmmm.  It sure would be nice if version 4.x were as well integrated
> with -stable as 3.x was.  There, now it's related to the list.  ;-)

IMO, the problems I had before, and the problems you're having now,
suggest that we should not merge XFree86 4.x into -STABLE.  It still
seems to have some bugs to shake out.

--
Cheers,
William Richard