Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:41:05 +0100
From:      Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is bus_set_resource() rarely used? Docs for ISA cards

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 11:10:08PM +0100, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> I don't know for sure about these cards, but I suspect that the Linux
> driver was used as a reference.

The german USR branch actually provided documentation on the Sportster card
to (at least) Hellmuth and me. Back in those days neither AVM nor Teles
would give away any information about their cards, not to us and not to
the Linux people. There was "common knowledge" how their cards were designed
floating around all over the ISDN scene, I guess most people looked at the
provided DOS drivers. And actually, those cards are pretty simple, once you
figure out their register mapping and any additional reset/config tricks.
Later AVM made up their mind and became more open, AFAICT Teles never reached
this stage.

Later, when ISA PnP cards became common, register mapping was easy to guess
form the PnP info, and most drivers probably were done by trial & error.

Martin