Date:      Sat, 9 Sep 2000 19:36:17 +0200
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgu.chel.su>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postgres7 @ FreeBSD-4.1S

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 12:58:52PM +0600, Ilia Chipitsine wrote:
> every time it boots there's the following message
> pg_ctl: It seems another postmaster is running. Try to start postmaster
> anyway.
> pg_ctl: Cannot start postmaster. Is another postmaster is running?
> FATAL: StreamServerPort: bind() failed: Address already in use
>         Is another postmaster already running on that port?
>         If not, remove socket node (/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432) and retry.
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port
>
> the only way to start postgres7 is to remove that file ?
> anyone else seen that ?
>
> Regards, (Nailucsie pozelanij)
> Ilia Chipitsine (Il%j Sipicin)

> end of the original message

   It happens when postgres is not shutted down cleanly. If you
installed it from ports then use:

    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pgsql.sh stop

to shut it down (the system does this automatically when you shut it
down or restart it) and then:

    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/pgsql.sh start

to restart it.

   Personally, I've seen that when I had a power outage at home. No
problems, however, I removed /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 as stated in the
error message and restarted postgres.

		Francesco Casadei