Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:41:01 -0500
From:      "Don Wilde" <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem (maybe a solution) loading iwi firmware: firmware_get: failed to load firmware image iwi_bss

On 7/27/06, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 27 July 2006 14:28, Erik N=F8rgaard wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > This question has been on various lists lately, maybe I'm on the right
> > track:
>
> Use the iwi-firmware-kmod port.  You need the module wrappers around the
> firmware in /boot/modules, not the raw firmware in /boot/firmware.  That
> is
> the older way of doing things.
>
> > There is some development, I'm not sure if it has been imported into th=
> > source tree yet,
> >
> >   http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/new_iwi/
>
> Yes, it is in -current and I believe -stable now, and this just works fin=
> with the iwi-firmware-kmod port.
>
> In short, upgrade to 6.1-stable, install the iwi-firmware-kmod port, and
> everything should Just Work(tm).  It does here on my laptop (albeit
> running
> 7-current).
>
> --
> John Baldwin

Erik, John -

I've gotten it working. It appears that the firmware kmod was getting
loaded, but it was barfing on one of the extensions of the ifconfig I had
installed. My old ifconfig was:

ifconfig_iwi0=3D"DHCP ssid rewired channel 11 authmode shared weptxkey 1
wepmode on wepkey 0x1234567890"

and my new one is:

ifconfig_iwi0=3D"DHCP ssid rewired weptxkey 1 wepmode on wepkey 0x123456789=
0"

I also changed the access point config to leave those open for negotiation.

This error message still exists, just before 'Additional TCP options: .'

iwicontrol:
Can't load firmware to driver
:
Invalid argument