Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:38:53 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <areilly@nsw.bigpond.net.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACPI project progress report

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 05:40:30PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> The real issue here is persistent system state across the S4 suspend; ie.
> leaving applications open, etc.  IMO this isn't really something worth a
> lot of effort to us, and it has a lot of additional complications for a
> "server-class" operating system in that you have to worry about network
> connections from other systems, not just _to_ other systems.

That said TCP/IP is very resilient :).  I tried suspending to disk
my laptop, unplugging the batteries and ether card, taking it to another
part of the building and the firing it up.

Pccardd saw the ethernet card, Dhclient saw the dhcp server and got
my ip address back, and my pre-existing remote terminal sessions
continued functioning :) Excellent.

IMO if the machine is a server and you want to suspend it, who cares
about the clients at the other end?  If you did you wouldn't suspend
it in the first place :)

Joe