Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 15:50:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        mpp@mpp.minn.net (Mike Pritchard)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: 2.1 acctng/quotas

Greetings!

> Chris Coleman wrote:
> >
> > I have tried to get Quotas working with no real success.
> > It says they are working, ie i have no error messages,
> > but it doesn't seem to do anything. (yes, i enables option QUOTA
> > in the kernel)
>
> Up until a could of weeks ago I did have quotas enabled on my machine,
> and they seemed to work just fine.  You need to enable them
> in /etc/sysconfig, and your kernel config file.  Then run edquota
> to set some limits on some people.  However, I turned quotas back
> off because some recent changes started causing lots of quota
> related panics and decided to back off for now.  I think if you are
> running 2.1-release or 2.1-stable you should be fine.

Hmm... they were running quite nicely in 1.1.5.1R.  Should I
assume something broke in -current but -release is OK?  I
wonder why the commentary in /etc/sysconfig claiming that
quotas (and accounting) don't work??

> > However, accounting seems to work as far as i understand it.
> > I can check how much time each user has been on the machine.
>
> I've also had accounting enabled for the last 6 months without
> any problems.

Hmmm... again, I wonder why the commentary in sysconfig?  (I sure
wish people would *substantiate* comments like that when they commit
them!  :-(

Well, I guess I'll turn things on a bit at a time and log any problems
I encounter.  Thanx for your input!

--don