Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 23:32:25 +0100
From:      "Chris R." <gurab@lineone.net>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   /usr/var

Hi,

hopefully someone can help me here ......
P72 of The Complete FreeBSD - 2nd edition says where to put  /var and
/tmp

# mkdir /usr/var
# cd /var
# tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
# cd /
# rm -rf /var

&

# mkdir /usr/tmp
# rm -rf /tmp
# ln -s /usr/tmp /tmp

..... so ok, this I did (having run out of space  in /var) on my 2.2.5
system. Now when I boot various error messages come up relating to no
/var being present, example: -

syslogged: cannot create /var/run/log:no such file or directory
syslogged: child pid 76 exited with return code 1

the same thing happens if I type 'who' at the #prompt

who: /var/run/utmp: No such file or directory

any ideas whats gone wrong? I can still boot and run, and the problems
over space have gone so something positive happened.

TIA

Chris R.