Date:      Tue, 01 Jun 1999 09:50:45 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script

Darryl Okahata wrote:

> David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 30 May 1999, Bill Huey wrote:
> >
> > > That's fundamentally disturbing especially coming from other fellow
> > > Unix variant folks.
> >
> > Inter-UNIX rivalries are one of things that has kept unix healthy for so
> > long.  Linux tends to pick up most of the 3L1t3 dudez, who don't know
>
>      Inter-Unix rivalries are one of the big things that's slowed down
> Unix development and allowed Windows to thrive.  If the rivalries didn't
> exist, Unix would be *MUCH* better than it currently is.  I'm not just
> talking about FreeBSD vs Linux; I'm talking about all of the other major
> Unix vendors, too.

Better how?  More scalable?  More reliable?  You completely fail to
understand that the Sun StarFire, the SGI Origin 2000, HP and AIX
clusters exist because these companies COMPETE with each other to
create the biggest, fastest, and most reliable computers around.

If you mean "lack of competition would make UNIX more homogenous and
more viable to every Tom, Dick, and Jane that comes down the pike,"
I will agree with that.  I just disagree that this is success.  UNIX
was never meant to be a word processor loader, and complete overkill
for such an application.