Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 14:40:03 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Bob Cohen <bcohen@bpecreative.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: E-mail within private network

* Bob Cohen <bcohen@bpecreative.com> [000108 14:12] wrote:
> I've got a small private network set up composed mostly of
> Windows boxes but which has a FreeBSD machine. I want to be
> able to send e-mail from machine to machine.  How is this
> done? Thanks.

De-centralizing mail like that is asking for trouble, it's probably
better to add mail users to the FreeBSD box and install a pop3 or
imap server, setup an MX record for the FreeBSD so people send mail
to it.

You can find 3rd party pop and imap servers in /usr/ports/mail,
the most simple configuration is just installing /usr/ports/mail/popper
and telling users to check email off of the FreeBSD machine.

-Alfred