Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 15:39:20 -0800
From:      Doug Clements <dsclements@linkline.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   "got bad cookie" in logs of NFS client

Greetings,
   I'm getting a lot of entrys similar to this snippet in the clients of my
NFS server.
> got bad cookie vp 0xd6810ec0 bp 0xcbfaa064
> got bad cookie vp 0xd5cdf740 bp 0xcbf4b6f0
> got bad cookie vp 0xd6115540 bp 0xcbefd758

The clients are part of a cluster to deliver mail, using qmail and other
associated mail services. There are 3 clients, all running FreeBSD4.4. The
server is also running FreeBSD4.4.

I've looked through the archives, and I see some mentions to these errors
saying they should be fixed in future versions (this was near freebsd 3.x),
but I'm still getting them.

I am seeing file corruption of the user database that is shared over NFS, and
I think these errors might be related.

Can anyone offer any insight or help into this?

Thanks!

--Doug