Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:39:57 +0100
From:      Roger Hardiman <roger@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>
Cc:        "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

John, Viren,

> From what I gather the riva tnt is unsupported, or has immature
> support in xfree.

It says it is supported in XFree 3.3.3.1, but I have noone to confirm
how reliable it is.

I do have an AI Expert at work 4 meg AGP card and it works great
with XFree86 (ver 3.3.3.1 and FreeBSD 3.1-R)

> I chose the turtle beach malibu, an isa card based on the cs4237
> chipset.  The pcm driver supports this card just dandy, and all your
> windows games should handle it just fine too.

I had mentioned the SoundBlaser PCI 128 (an ES 1370 card) to
Viren, but the advantage of an ISA sound card is that all the
old DOS games you have work properly.
And as this is going to be a Dual FreeBSD and Win98 machine, this
may be important to you.

Bye
Roger