Date:      01 Feb 2003 11:18:07 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple solutions for a problem (Re: How to map bad sectors on IDE?)

Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org> writes:

> Your advise sounds perfectly sound for IBM and Microsoft and the
> Pentagon. But for a home or small office situation, there might be
> another way to deal with it?
>
> Especially since we are not talking about something 10 years old or
> heavily used in a mailserver.

The disk is *already* suffering from massive failure.  You are more or
less *guaranteed* that it's going to get worse, quickly.  badsect(8)
is still part of FreeBSD, but on disks less than (coincidentally)
about 10 years old, it's pretty much useless, because sectors are
going to continue going bad so quickly.