Date:      Mon, 1 Aug 2005 22:23:38 -0700
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        diz@linuxpowered.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] rc.d/tmp (silly mkdir usage)

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:37:05 -0500 (CDT)
diz@linuxpowered.com wrote:
> I grep'ed the entire rc.d dir, and found that the same technique is used
> elsewhere in accounting, and cleanvar. So I feel justified this time,
> although please review, and thanks for the look. While I understand the
> need to want a fork program to touch, or otherwise create an inode, I feel
> forking for such an effort is weird and a bit over-engineered.

Well, while one prefers a system to boot as quickly as reasonably possible,
it's not like startup is particularly performance-critical.  This is another
place where I feel that clarity more than compensates for (very minor) slowness,
particularly when coupled with the fact that the cost of a fork()/exec() is
overwhelmed by the cost of cranking up some of the heavy-weight daemons.

It seems to me that you're looking at things from a very "hacky" perspective.
That is, it seems that you know a lot of shortcuts that add a bit of speed
here and there and that's what you're trying to apply.  (Please correct me
if I'm wrong.)  I would suggest that you look at the startup scripts somewhat
differently, by asking yourself what is _broken_ there.  I've seen at least a
couple of suggestions along this line in reply to you.  The mkdir usage isn't
really broken, it seems to me.  While I'm by no stretch of the imagination an
expert regarding the rc scripts (they work and I ignore them), there are others
around here that are, and they can, I am certain, give you some relevant,
useful and very challenging suggestions.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/