Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 16:14:27 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        PETERS@staidan.qld.edu.au (Peter Stubbs)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting a cd

Peter Stubbs stands accused of saying:
> I posted this about a week ago with no reply. I can't see how to
> solve my problem, so here goes again.

I saw your last post, but figured that you would have worked it out, or
perhaps posted some more details. 8(

> When it boots and mounts the cd at /cdrom it seems to create a file in
> the root directory called /cdrom with the following stats
>
> -r-xr-xr-x   2 root wheel  2048 May 1 20:00 cdrom

Most bizarre.  What happens if you boot single-user (-s at the Boot: prompt)
and create /cdrom?  You'll have to remount / before you can write to it :

# mount /
# mkdir /cdrom
# reboot

> The same things happens if I create a new directory & try again, even
> if that new directory is on another file system. ie /usr/cdrom

Does this include editing /etc/fstab to point to the new mountpoint?

> Everything was fine until I was copying a large archive to a floppy
> mounted at /mnt and (foolishly) typed 'ls /mnt' from another xterm.

I just tried this a few times with no trouble; I don't think it
qualifies as 'foolish' 8)

> This seemed to create a deadlock on the floppy. The drive light went
> out, and neither the ls nor the cp would stop or go into the
> background. I quit from X & tried kill -9 to no avail.

Device wait; nothing ever returns 8)

> What can I do to get my cd back?

I would, uncharitably, say "reinstall" 8)  To be honest, I can't imagine what,
short of kernel corruption, would cause this.

You haven't (IIRC) mentioned which version of FreeBSD you're running.

> Peter

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[