Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 09:18:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@citec.qld.gov.au>
To:        Shaun Jurrens <shaun@shamz.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Clustering software

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Shaun Jurrens wrote:

> #>Hi,
> #>
> #>Unfortunately the searching I've done yields little or nothing, especially
> #>if you are talking high-availability-type clustering. Seems the linux
> #>people are the only ones doing any serious work on that - see
> #>www.linux-ha.org. You might find some links to, or actual software, you
> #>can use/port.
>
> 	Unfortunately this is not at all the case.  I don't know where you've
> done your searching, but it hasn't been very thorough.  Ronald Minnich
> (excuse any bad spelling) has been doing clustering with FreeBSD for _years_
> and has clusters of 64 and more (iirc) machines.  I'd appreciate if you did
> better research before you post such information to the lists.  It only
> serves to disinform those who search in the list archives.

64 hosts doesn't sound to me like high availability clustering (on which
my reply was based - read it again). It sounds more like beowulf-style
clustering. Since Dimitry didn't specify what he was looking for I tried
to qualify my answer by limiting it to HA clusters.

If you know of such HA clustering software, tell all of us. There have
been quite a few requests for clustering software over the years. I have
never seen anyone reply with anything like the linux-ha project. Maybe
FreeBSD is so good, clustering software isn't needed. And before you jump
down my throat, I run fbsd on my desktop and my two squid servers are
fbsd.

> The biggest problem with those searching for "clustering" software usually
> is that they haven't defined "clustering" in combination with their needs.
> Your assumptions about what what Dmitry actually is looking for make your
> answer even less accurate.

Read my reply again. I pretty much specified "high availability
clustering" because Dimitry did not qulaify his search. I figured all the
beowulf style paralle computing clusters were os independent (or pretty
much so) and therefore easily found and that's why I left them out.

> #>
> #>On Mon, 19 Nov 2001, Dmitry Alyabyev wrote:
> #>
> #>> Hello
> #>>
> #>> I'm trying to find as more as possible information about clustering
> #>> software for/under FreeBSD. Could someone describe the real example of
> #>> that and tells how strong/effective in real life that is ?
> #>
> #>Colin
>
> P.S. This is a reply that I cut-n-wasted from the ML archives. I'm not on
> the list, so if you think I should get your mail, use CC:

Colin
--
Colin Campbell
Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster