Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:48:00 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named rejecting all kinds of serials

Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc> wrote:
 > --On samedi 28 septembre 2002 13:49 +0200 "Janine C.Buorditez"
 > <johann@broadpark.no> wrote:
 > > Sep 28 13:22:50 ninja named[87]: master zone "terrabionic.com" (IN)
 > > rejected due to errors (serial 2002092801)
 > >
 > > now, isn't this the valid serial for today?
 > >
 > > i've tried all kinds of dates; past, current and future. with zero, one
 > > and two digits in the last field.
 >
 > The thing is that it is not the serial that is invalid, but the zone file.
 > named tells you the serial number because you might have different versions
 > of it.

Furthermore, the serial number has got nothing to do with
the date, even though many people use the date for it.
So there is no such thing as a "valid serial for today".
The serial is just a number.  You can as well start with
"1" and increase by 1 each time you change it, independent
of the date.

The only thing that's _really_ important is that you never
decrease the number, and never overflow the (signed) 32bit
range.  Otherwise, secondary servers will not accept any
changes in your zone.  There's a special procedure involved
to fix such a problem; it's described in RFC 1912, I think.

Bye the way, RFC 1912 is definitely recommended reading for
anybody who operates a name server or who is responsible
for zone files.

Regards
   Oliver