Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 17:55:18 -0500
From:      "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "'Capriotti'" <capriotti@geocities.com>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW  and pop3/irc - loooong wait

> Your problem is that you are blocking IDENT requests.  If you dont mind
servicing these (they are very low risk services) simply allow port 113 (tcp)
to function.

BTW: I just found out that 113 is being widely used for some other services
too: like smtp reverse lookups.

We allow 113 subject to some pretty tight rules, if you like, I can send you a
copy of our rulesets.

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org

The following rule:

# Reject&Log all setup of incoming connections from the outside
    $fwcmd add 300 deny log tcp from any to any in via ${oif} setup

is causing pop3 (when sending msgs) and IRC (when connecting; port 6667)
take too long to connect

I get messages like this on the console:

ipfw: 300 Deny tcp 209.104.220.13:4737 200.246.0.15:113 in via tun0

is it expected ? (I don't see why... My TCP/IP skills are not that good)

In case it is, is there any workaround for this delay ?