Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 08:35:36 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK1.1.7.V98-12-21 released

> > This is merely a bugfix release.  The JDK now has fixes for all bugs
> > specific to the FreeBSD port.  (JDK bugs shared with the Solaris port
> > still exist...)  Thanks go to Keith White who provided most of the
> > bugfixes for this release.
> > [...]
>
> I have a few suggestions about the port:
>
>  1) install the source code under ${PREFIX}/jdk1.1.7/src instead of
>     leaving it packed

This is how Sun distributes it.  The sources are (IMO) not much good to
have around, especially unpacked.  It would also make the distribution
*much* bigger.

>  2) symlink  ${PREFIX}/jdk1.1.7 to ${PREFIX}/java

This is how Sun distributes it.  I also don't think it's a good idea,
since you may want to have (will probably want to have) multiple JDK's
on your system at any one time.

>  3) after installing the port, display (or point to a README
>     containing) instructions for setting PATH and CLASSPATH
>     correctly: ${PREFIX}/java/bin should be added to the PATH,
>     and the CLASSPATH should be set to ${PREFIX}/lib/classes.zip:.

I'm no port weenie.  Feel free to modify the port to do this.

Nate