Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2006 19:26:08 +0200
From:      Arne Schwabe <schwabe@uni-paderborn.de>
To:        Andrew Turner <andrew@fubar.geek.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSDInstaller snapshot (test on Tohsiba M400)

Andrew Turner schrieb:
> I am pleased to announce the third public beta of the BSDInstaller on
> FreeBSD.

I thought I would give BSDInstaller ai shot on my shiny new M400
> Major changes in this release are:
>
> - Lua and required libraries are now installed from packages
> - Allow the installation of kernels other than GENERIC
>
> The ISO image is available from
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/bsdinstaller/7.0-20060512-BSDINSTALLER-i386-disc1.iso
> or your local mirror.

Installation works well but I ran in to a few iusses:

The parition editor does not accept a parition table that does not end
in a cylinder :(

It asked whether I would like to shrink or expand the parition where my
windows (with ntfs) is installed on. I prefer to leave my windows
parition alone. If you have a FreeBSD slice that does not end at a
cylinder boundary the label editor won't work correctly if one entry is "*".

dhclient did not work:

On a console I got:

# dhclient em0
chroot
exiting.
#

A strange sidemark: If I am booting from the installer cd em0 is
working, If booting from harddisk (even with the installer cd kernel)
em0 complains about checksum errors. :/
> As with the previous Beta release there are three virtual consoles
> available:
> * ttyv0: The front end
> * ttyv1: The back end
> * ttyv2: A standard login screen to login as root with no password

Would be nice to have either more ttys with root shell or "screen" on
the cd so I could that for more shells (starting logins on other screens
works but is uncomfortable).

Arne