Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:38:56 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pam_ldap error

Beste freebsd-questions,

My aim is to setup a samba PDC and BDC server for a windows network
and integrate the password database. So that any change will also
reflect the other OS. To avoid changing the password two times, or
adding a user twice. And now i got an error from the pam_ldap module
telling me it cannot bind as a user that does exist. Any idea what i
did wrong?

I have done this according to the how-to:
http://samba.idealx.org/dist/samba-ldap-howto.pdf. I'm not at chapter
5 and am stuck.

I have installed OpenLDAP 2.0 and pam_ldap. Have setup the database as
follow:

dc=domain,dc=org

`--- ou=Users

`--- ou=Computers

`--- ou=Groups

I have modified /etc/pam.conf for login only first:
>login   auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so
>login   auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so
>#login  auth    sufficient      pam_kerberosIV.so               try_first_pass
>login   auth    sufficient      pam_ldap.so                     try_first_pass
>login   auth    sufficient      pam_unix.so                     try_first_pass
>login   auth    required        pam_deny.so

>login   account sufficient      pam_ldap.so
>login   account sufficient      pam_unix.so
>login   account required        pam_deny.so

>login   password required       pam_permit.so
>login   session required        pam_permit.so

And modified /usr/local/etc/ldap.conf =
/usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap.conf (link, same fs)
># Your LDAP server. Must be resolvable without using LDAP.
>URI ldap://127.0.0.1
>
># The distinguished name of the search base.
>base dc=kruij557,dc=speed,dc=planet,dc=nl
>
>ldap_version 2
>
># we use ?sub (and not the default ?one) because we
># separated sambaAccounts on ou=Computers,dc=IDEALX,dc=org
># and ou=Users,dc=IDEALX,dc=org
>nss_base_passwd         dc=kruij557,dc=speed,dc=planet,dc=nl?sub
>nss_base_shadow         dc=kruij557,dc=speed,dc=planet,dc=nl?sub
>nss_base_group          ou=Groups,dc=kruij557,dc=speed,dc=planet,dc=nl?one
>
>ssl no
>pam_password md5

I have set the default access to the openldap database to write. When
i try to connect as the newly installed user 'test' then i get the
following error: (out over /messages)

Jul 11 20:15:27 Intranet login: pam_ldap: error trying to bind as user
"uid=test,ou=Users,dc=domain,dc=com" (Invalid credentials)

#slapcat

dn: uid=test,ou=Users,dc=domain,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: account
objectClass: posixAccount
cn: test
uid: test
uidNumber: 1000
gidNumber: 100
homeDirectory: /home/test
loginShell: /bin/sh
gecos: System User
creatorsName: cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com
createTimestamp: 20020711123408Z
modifiersName: cn=Manager,dc=domain,dc=com
modifyTimestamp: 20020711123408Z
userPassword:: e1NTSEF9WFF0OTVJNy9iaklYdHovQjFBNk5oQ3c0Y2tCemlSRWI=

--
Met vriendelijke groet,
Alex