Date:      Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:57:15 +0000
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: HTT/SMP servers instability on 5.3-STABLE]

On Dec 10, Toomas Aas launched this into the bitstream:

> Colin J. Raven wrote:
>
>> On Dec 10, Toomas Aas launched this into the bitstream:
>>
>>> For more than a month now, I've been running a Dual Xeon 2000 system (IBM
>>> eServer xSeries 225) with 5.3-RC2 and later upgraded to 5.3-RELEASE and I
>>> have no problems at all. Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS, ACPI is
>>> enabled.
>>

>> Excuse me for jumping into this thread but could you elaborate as to why
>> you have Nyperthreading disabled?
>
> I'm afraid I can't give you any good technical reasons. I simply think of HTT
> as Intel marketing blurb, meant to make you feel like you are getting two
> CPUs for the price of one. Well, actually it's still only one CPU. I've been
> running another single Xeon 2.4 box for more than a year. Initially, I ran
> several months with HTT enabled. Then I ran several months with HTT disabled.
> I didn't really notice any performance difference.

Well thanks for sharing those observations. Until I read what you said I
*assumed* that there was a performance difference with HTT
enabled. The specs seem to show that there *is* a theoretical
difference, yet clearly according to your observations there just isn't
any difference of earth shaking proportions.

Much appreciated!

Regards,
-Colin
--