Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:38:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Pradesh Chanderpaul <p.chanderpaul@olsy.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ISSUE : Kernel configuration file from built kernel

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Pradesh Chanderpaul wrote:

> As I explained earlier, I performed the ffg sequence of events.
>
> - I installed 2.2.7 WITHOUT the source code.
> - I then installed the sys source code distribution.
> - I then needed to change the kernel configuration for PPP, so I
>   copied the KERNEL configuration file to CUSTOM.
> - I made the necessary changes and made the CUSTOM kernel.
> - I rebooted the machine and found that I couldn't telnet to it. So I
>   worked at the workstation console itself. I found that for example
>   if I typed 'ping localhost' or 'netstat xxxx' functions I iether got
>   timeouts or long waits. ( I assumed then that the old kernel contained
>   configuration details were not on the /sys/i386/CONFIG file [which
>   I only installed after the original kernel was built :(  ]  ).
> - I rebooted of /kernel.old and those problems seemd to go away.
> - I searched for the ORIGINAL kernel file. The only one was the
>   /sys/i386/KERNEL - but I suspect that was what caused the problems
>   in the first place.
> - There was a /kernel.config file but this was empty.
>
> Now I need to make the PPP changes that I set out, but I need a config
> file that reflected my configuration at installation time.
>
> The changes that I made to the KERNEL file is:-
> pseudo-device   tun     3
> # 					   ^^^ changed from 1 to 3

This isn't required for PPP to function, unless you need to have multiple
ppp's running ...

You need to amend your kernel config file's device specifications with the
resources of your devices (ie, ethernet card), or boot -c after installing
your new kernel and configure the resources there.  I suggest the former,
that way the settings stick with each kernel built.

Doug White