Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 15:07:04 -0700
From:      Matt Peterson <matt@peterson.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Broke PPPoE with striped down FreeBSD

Using Manuel Kasper's MiniBSD document
<http://neon1.net/misc/minibsd.html>, I've built a striped down FreeBSD
distribution.  I'm attempting to setup a PPPoE router on a Soekris
board.  My ppp.conf works fine on my laptop (which also happens to be
the source tree for the minimal distro), but fails on the Soekris board.
Thinking it might be an issue with the sis driver, I used another
desktop with a CF2IDE adapter (thus using fxp).  Regardless of hardware,
the striped down distro PPPoE connects and immediately disconnects.  It
doesn't even reach the LCP process.

Applicable kdumps and kernel file are at
<http://matt.peterson.org/FreeBSD/PPPoE/>.  I've verified that the
required netgraph modules are loaded (netgraph, ng_ether, ng_pppoe, &
ng_socket) along with required ppp libraries exist (ie: ldd `where
ppp`).  This doesn't appear to be a hardware issue, as others use the
same boards at PPPoE routers.  Much appreciate what I should check out
next.

--
Matt Peterson         another.geek.without.a.life
matt@peterson.org       http://matt.peterson.org/