Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:50:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net, nash@mcs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unices are created equal, but...

> Writing the 32 Megabyte file, 'iozone.tmp'...15.367188 seconds
> Reading the file...9.437500 seconds
>
> IOZONE performance measurements:
>         2183511 bytes/second for writing the file
>         3555436 bytes/second for reading the file
>
> In both cases, it was at least 42% faster for reading than writing...

This is expected... a partial FS block write requires a read.  This
is actually bogus, down to the device block level, because the page
size is 4k, and there is an 8 bit bitmap, capable of taking the
sparse bitmap granularity to 512k (one device block for most modern
non-optical devices).

For writes on a power of two block boundry for an area not spanning
a second exp2(log2(n)+1), this should mean no read-before-write is
ever required.

This is applicable to prefetch for both sequential reads and sequential
writes, and for regionally aligned access for random I/O.

Since we don't implement this, even though IOZONE does exactly that
kind of access, we still take read hits on writes up to the FS block
size.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---