Date:      Sat, 2 Aug 1997 12:24:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "J. Utz" <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Finally back at it! Re: working snap of new sound driver

Ok;

I have no soundcards that have plugnpray or pci, looking at the patches in
the readme it appears that i probably dont need to patch autoconf.c,
because it does not have anything important happening as far as i am
concerned...but if i get ahead of my bills and decide to splurge for a
gus..i imagine i would want to do it then......

i just *hate* diddling kernel srcs on functioning machines needlessly...

N, OTOH.... isa_dmastatus() looks to be quite cool....i am really looking
forward to this part! i have a feeling a lot of the popping and slamming
is gonna go away after this..... if not, i will at least have a way to
convieniently start mapping dma traffic, this gonna be a general purpose
kernel fiddling win, not just a soundcard win

this'l be fun..... i just gotta remember to get up and get the family from
la aeroporto at 19:15 tonight......:-)

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> After about two weeks of intense development, I am pleased to say that
> all the major pieces of my new sound driver now work satisfactorily. As
> a consequence, a _working_ snap of my new sound driver is available at
>
> 	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/snd970731.tgz
>
> (I am running this code on my machine now).
>
> The package includes a README file with detailed installation
> instructions, and all the pieces you need if you are using 2.2 or
> above. At the time of this writing I fixed the final bugs and
> /dev/audio works reliably (at 8KHz, mono) with MSS-clones and SBpro
> (tested used the CS4232 and CS4236 PnP).
>
> PnP cards are supported (with a minor fix, you need to change the
> probe routine in ad1848.c to add the ID for your card), and possibly
> even multiple sound cards in the same system (if bugs are present,
> they are in the PnP probe&configure code).
>
> Many ioctls are still unimplemented (but the mixer calls work), but
> fixing them will be trivial and probably ready for the next snap.
>
> Do not expect any new release for a week or so, but I will be able to
> read email and reply. PLEASE if you have the time, test the code
> with your cards. I am running this code on my machine at the moment,
> and it seems reasonably stable.
>
> 	Cheers
> 	Luigi
> Luigi Rizzo                  |  Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
> email: luigi@iet.unipi.it    |  Universita' di Pisa
> tel: +39-50-568533           |  via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
> fax: +39-50-568522           |  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/

 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life