Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 23:17:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        chris@bb.cc.wa.us (Chris Coleman)
Cc:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, AdamT@smginc.com, mike@smith.net.au, kpielorz@tdx.co.uk, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD updated Installation / Adminsitration Kit

> I liked everything up until the reboot. :-(  Win95 reboots so many times,
> that it takes hours of time trying to install.

There are three circumstances where Windows 95 will reboot:

1)	After the initial install, to be running off the HD

	This is acceptable; FreeBSD does this now for the network
	setup.

2)	During the initial install, if hardware autodetection "takes
	too long", the *user* resets the machine so the probe that
	hung will not be repeated.

	This is a good thing.  It means Windows95 can detect hardware
	FreeBSD can't.  It's a feature.  The only time this becomes
	an annoyance instead of a feature is if you bought cruddy
	hardware.  Then it's pilot error.

3)	If during configuration, it asks if you want to reboot, and
	instead of waiting until you have installed everything, you
	*foolishly* say "yes".

	This is pilot error.

> before leaving).  It would stop only on critical errors, and log the rest.
> Otherwise it would be real easy to install a basic system.
>
> > So... Comments on this, anyone? :-)

What about probes that hang the hardware because you wre silly enough
to engage in pilot error (#2, above: buying cruddy hardware)?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.