Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:58:05 -0700
From:      Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Scott Long <scottl@netflix.com>, Drew Gallatin <gallatin@netflix.com>,  Navdeep Parhar <navdeep@chelsio.com>, Oded Shanoon <odeds@mellanox.com>, hps@freebsd.org,  Matthew Macy <mmacy@nextbsd.org>, jeb.j.cramer@intel.com, eric.joyner@intel.com, arybchik@freebsd.org, shurd@freebsd.org, Sean Bruno <sbruno@freebsd.org>,  George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RFC: ethctl

Greetings,

I'm casting a wide net in cc, try to keep the noise minimal but we need
some input from a variety of HW vendors.

I have heard from several vendors the need for a NIC configuration tool.
 Chelsio ships a cxgb/cxgbetool in FreeBSD as one example.  There is
precedence for some nod toward a basic unified tool in Linux ethtool.

>From your perspective,
1) What are the common requirements?
2) What are specialized requirements? For instance as a full TCP offload
card Chelsio needs things others wont
3) What should it _not_ do?  Several of you have experience doing Ethernet
driver dev on many platforms so we should attempt to avoid repeating past
design mistakes.

I expect we can achieve some level of inversion so the device specific code
can live close to the driver and plug into the ethctl framework.  It should
be general enough to add completely new top level commands, so vendors can
implement HW specific features.  On the other hand, we should attempt to
hook into common core for features every NIC provides, with a focus on
iflib.

I will fund Matt Macy to do the overall design and implementation.

Regards,
Kevin Bowling, on behalf of Limelight Networks for this effort