Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2020 03:23:00 +0100
From:      Domagoj =?UTF-8?Q?Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87?= <rank1seeker@gmail.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Slow PXE boot

Yo Crew!

During PXE boot, from server (11.3-RELEASE-p5 i386) with 1 GB RAM, client w=
ith:
    4 GB RAM booted kernel in  ~2 min
    8 GB RAM booted kernel in ~20 min (at least)
So all below is tested with 2 different clients, each with NIC of different=
 manufacturer (Realtec & Intel)

I've read on forums that if client has much, much more RAM than server, thi=
s happens.
Suggestion was to to set loader(8) tunable hw.memtest.tests to 0, so client=
 would skip RAM test.

PXE boot is served to clients from /PXE, so ...
Setting hw.memtest.tests=3D"0" in /PXE/boot/loader.conf, yielded no results!

By the way, for some reason, hw.memtest.tests tunable DOESN'T exist in man =
pages!
I had to look in source code to confirm it still exists.

Next, I've tried:
# echo 'nfs.read_size=3D"16384"' > /PXE/boot/loader.conf
    Changing value to ANY value other than default 1024, completely halts c=
lient's kernel loading at 'Loading kernel...'!

Lastly, I've tried tactic used with UFS's stage 2 /boot/boot, to skip stage=
 3 loader completely and to directly load kernel instead.
So in dhcpd.conf, I've replaced:
    filename "boot/pxeboot";
with:
    filename "boot/kernel/kernel";

Result:
    Attempt to pull GENERIC kernel directly, resulted in: "NBP is too big t=
o fit in free base memory"
Maybe I should try to compile custom minimal kernel 'ident PXE' ...
It is unbelievable how many problems do I have ...

Domagoj Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87