Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 2002 23:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Martin Heinen <martin@sumuk.de>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/39089: Confusing part about setting/viewing environment vars in section 3.7 of the Handbook

The following reply was made to PR docs/39089; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Heinen <martin@sumuk.de>
To: Marc Fonvieille <marc@blackend.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:46:26 +0200

 On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 09:53:22AM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
 > Confusing part about setting/viewing environment vars in section 3.7 of
 > the Handbook. Telling that you can use setenv or export to view
 > variables is quite confusing for the *newbie* (the use of echo $VARNAME
 > is described below that part in that section).

 Agreed, using set/setenv to list variables is confusing, but it's
 a useful feature that we should mention.

 > -    <para>To view or set an environment variable differs somewhat from
 > +    <para>To set an environment variable differs somewhat from
 >        shell to shell.  For example, in the C-Style shells such as
 > -      <command>setenv</command> to set and view environment variables.
 > +      <command>setenv</command> to set environment variables.
 >        Under Bourne shells such as <command>sh</command> and
 > -      <command>export</command> to view and set your current environment
 > +      <command>bash</command>, you would use
 > +      <command>export</command> to set your current environment
 >        variables.  For example, to set or modify the
 >        <command>tcsh</command> a

 This omits that you can use setenv/set to list all environment
 variables.  How about adding the following sentence to the end
 of this paragraph:

 	To view all current environment environment variables use
 	<command>setenv</command> without any arguments under
 	C-Style shells or <command>set</command> under Bourne shells.

 --
 Marxpitn